Friday, April 29, 2016

The Tavern - TBone


We've been going to Tavern a bit lately, and ended up all there together on a long weekend Thursday so I suppose it's time it made it on the list.

So far I quite like it there.  It's a smaller place that hits the fundamentals just right - decent prices, decent menu, comfortable atmosphere, cool staff, non-annoying crowd.  Thursdays are annoying because they do open mic night and I'd rather talk to friends than listen to some chump sing John Mayer ballads that he feels a special connection to, but other than that it's pretty good.  

I gather it's under new management; they have an alt / heavy-metal sort of crowd, though the bar itself doesn't really do anything to appeal to them.  Music is generally pretty good, not obnoxious and quiet enough that it's ignorable, though they often play decent rock / punk / alt stations or mixes. Food is good, though recently they cut about half of the menu so it's getting worse.  Pretty much pizza, burger, and sandwiches now.  Plenty of grilled-cheeses to choose from, though they got rid of build-your-own.

The only real complaint I have is the beer selection.  No Keith's, though they have Grasshopper and Trad.  The revolving tap usually has something good, and has the usual Trad / Grasshopper options, but they're lacking something that I enjoy in large quantities, and the Guinness is way too damned expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment